The Ilizarov system has experienced many modifications over the last fifty years. The TrueLok™ Ring Fixation System, developed at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (TSRHC) in Dallas Texas, is one of the modern variants of the original fixator, but preserves many of the original principles of Professor Ilizarov.
Features & Benefits
- Pre-assembled hinges, angular distractors, and other functional components which are easy to connect, align and operate
- Hinges and angular distractors preserve their alignment even when temporarily disconnected during osteotomy, frame manipulation or component exchange
- Linear and angular distractors require only one simple motion to effect adjustments
- Universal components, such as the wire and half pin fixation bolts, reduce the number of parts needed in surgery
- Wire and half pin fixation bolts with serrations and grooves provide superior bone segment stabilization¹
- The serrations machined on connection elements prevents undesired rotation and component loosening during treatment
- The TrueLok systems modular nature allows customizable frame constructs to treat a variety of orthopedic conditions with fewer components
- Hinges offer self-aligning flexibility during three-dimensional frame adjustment
- Full control of bone segments accomplished with TrueLok allows precise movement of segments without compromising stability
- Lightweight (ring made out of aluminium)
For more info, see OrthofixKids.com.
- Gessmann J, Jettkant B, Königshausen M, Schildhauer TA, Seybold D. Improved wire stiffness with modified connection bolts in Ilizarov external frames: a biomechanical study. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2012;14(4):15-21.