Intramedullary limb-lengthening system
The Fitbone® intramedullary limb-lengthening system was developed in partnership with Dr. Rainer Baumgart, a world-famous specialist for intramedullary lengthening with more than 300 operations using this device and the most experienced surgeon in this field.
The product was launched in 1997. Since then, this innovative treatment concept has grown into a global success story with several thousand successful implants. The Fitbone TAA intramedullary lengthening system is intended for limb lengthening of the femur and tibia. With appropriate preoperative planning, it is possible to make axial and torsional corrections as part of limb lengthening.
The Fitbone® intramedullary limb-lengthening system is also compatible with the OrthoNext™ digital platform. The OrthoNext software features a reverse planning method module that simulates the target position, osteotomy level and blocking screw placement — enabling a more accurate preoperative assessment, optimized inventory sent to the OR, and, above all, optimized limb correction.
Benefits to Surgeon
- Cutting-edge German engineering
- Several thousand devices implanted since 1997
- No over-reaming necessary
- Accurate and controlled limb lengthening achieved with threefold visual and audible control feedback
- Accidental retraction is not possible
Benefits to Patient
- Comfortable lengthening process facilitated with the small, lightweight and silent Control Set
- Reliable feedback from the system throughout the lengthening process
- A small, light-weight Control Set
- Quick reintegration into daily routines
- Short hospitalization period
- Minimal risk of infection
- High product safety
- Little scarring
- “The potential advantages are many: fewer scars, improved aesthetics, better body image and psychological well-being, no irritation through pins and wires, reduced pain, uncommon infections, secondary axial deviation avoided, less joint stiffness, higher activity level during lengthening consolidation, faster rehabilitation, less risk of neurovascular compromise due to wire or screw insertion, and improvement in the ability to work during and after treatment.”1
Manufactured by WITTENSTEIN intens GmbH
Walter-Wittenstein-Strasse 1 – 97999 Igersheim (Germany)
Distributed by Orthofix
Orthofix declares that the contents are in conformity with the contents established by the manufacturer of Fitbone.
- Hasler CC, Krieg AH. Current concepts of leg lengthening. J Child Orthop. 2012;6:89-104